September Make a Difference Challenge
“Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together.” ~ Woodrow Wilson
Recently moving to a new city, my kids have had some anxiety about meeting all new friends. As I dropped them off for the first day of school I reassured them that it would only be a matter of time until they meet someone and feel comfortable in their new surroundings. It has still been difficult for them, but we are taking matters into our own hands and this is where I got the idea for our challenge this month.
This month is a start of a new year in many ways and it gives us all an opportunity to start anew. A key to happiness is friendship and we can only make friends when we take time to get to know the people around us.
As a society we seem to have lost that feeling of ‘community’ and often are so busy doing our own thing that we don’t make time to connect. Even if you already know your neighbors, it is still nice to take a moment to sweeten their day.
Here is a simply delicious recipe that I got from one of my dear friends. Spread the blessing of friendship with a little Almond Roca!
- Layer graham wafer crackers on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- In a pot, put 1 cup of butter and ¾ cup of brown sugar.
- Melt and heat until bubbly.
- Pour over almonds and graham wafers.
- Put in oven @ 350 degrees and bake for 8 minutes.
- Spread mild chocolate chips on top and place in the oven.
- When they start to melt take the pan out and spread chocolate with a spatula.
- Put in the freezer for 30 minutes and then break into pieces.
I hope you take the September Make a Difference Challenge because I firmly believe that it takes a village to raise a child. When we put forth a little effort to get to know those in our neighborhood we will be richly blessed with endearing friendships and a greater sense of community.
QUESTION: What can you do as a family to develop friendships and foster a sense of community in your neighborhood?
CHALLENGE: Make yummy treats together as a family and then deliver them to your neighbors!
Leave a Reply