What is Kindergarten Readiness?
The Kindergarten Readiness Program was developed to meet a request from Joy School parents for n easy-to-teach, structured introduction to some of the academic material that most children are expected to be familiar with when they enter their first year of formal education at around age 5 (often called Kindergarten, but also known as Reception, Year 1, Primary 1, or Preparatory Grade).
What Kindergarten Readiness Includes:
The Kindergarten Readiness program provides detailed teaching instruction, visual aids, flashcards and activities to use in conducting 20-30 minute Kindergarten Readiness sessions (typically taught at the end of the regular Joy School lessons). There are 34 detailed lesson plans included in the programs.
The basic concepts introduced in this program are:
- Recognition of the basic shapes, alphabetic letters, and numbers 1-20
- Basic introduction to the sounds made by letters and some letter combinations
- Association of numerical amounts with the numbers
- Work on fine-motor skills, such as holding and using writing implements, using scissors to cut, and using glue
- Basic writing, especially writing one’s own name
Methods of Teaching:
The skills outlined above are introduced and taught through many methods including games, tactile response, songs and rhyming, and playful repetition. Methods are varied to approach the learning from different angles and to encourage understanding by all types of learners.
* During the 20 years that the Kindergarten Readiness program has been in existence, it has undergone updates and revisions based on feedback from educators, researchers, and, most importantly, the parents and children who use the program. Of course, as school requirements and needs vary so greatly in different areas, it is impossible for us to create a program that is just right for every child. But with this program, we have attempted to offer an introduction to universal concepts and skills that are important for preschoolers to be exposed to.
How Kindergarten Readiness Works with Regular Joy School Lessons:
Most parents use the Kindergarten Readiness Program as an add-on to their Joy School day for children in the 4-5 years age range. Most groups add Kindergarten Readiness to the end of the Joy School day so that other parents can come help if needed and children in the group who are too young for Kindergarten Readiness can be picked up before this part of the Joy School session begins.
The Kindergarten Readiness Joy School Supplement costs just $25 for lifetime access to all 33 lessons included in the program.