In the wake of an onslaught of natural disasters it seems only appropriate that we take time to prepare. If we teach our children the importance of preparation and set an example we will be making a difference. When we are prepared we will be in a better position to assist and help others if the need ever arose. Among our friends, it is often the joke that everyone will know where to come if there is a disaster because we have stocked up on our food storage and have more than enough to be self-reliant and help others too.
Many communities around the world are focusing on Emergency Preparedness in the month of May and it would be a wonderful idea to honor the individuals who have been affected in recent months by such tragedies.
- Take some time to discuss and learn about natural disasters.
- Show You tube clips about recent disasters and discuss the hardships these individuals face.
- Have your children share what could happen in your area and how important it is to be prepared.
- Plant a garden together as a family. This teaches work, patience and self-reliance and it is a great way to prepare.
- Take time to put together a 72 hour kit. Have each child assist in assembling a kit so they are a part of the preparation. A great blog with many wonderful ideas is: http://preparedldsfamily.blogspot.com/2009/04/72-hour-kit-grab-and-go-container-ideas.html
- Here is a great pamphlet on Emergency Preparedness: http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/epc.pdf
An emergency situation can happen anywhere and anytime. We all need to be prepared to deal with these events at the personal, community and world level.
Emergency preparedness is a shared responsibility and it is up to each of us to learn what to do before, during and after an emergency situation.
This could make a difference for your family and loved ones in a very real way if there ever was a tragedy. Being prepared is so important and teaching our children to prepare and be self-reliant will instill in them a quality that will give them the tools to be able to care for those they love and share with others.