When our children throw a tantrum, sometimes we feel like throwing a tantrum ourselves!
While some children are more prone to tantrums than others, most moms need to deal with their kids’ emotional outbursts or uncontrolled anger at some point.
In this encore episode (was originally posted as Episode 13), April and Saren offer some very helpful ideas including:
- Showing love (it IS possible, and very effective, to respond with love when our kids seem the least loveable!)
- Making yourself a “durable object”
- Placing blame where it really belongs (not on yourself, not on your child, usually on the situation)
- Using pre-emptive measures to ward off tantrums (making sure kids are getting enough choices, sleep, food and down time, not trying to pack too much into a day, recognizing when your children near their limit and ending activities or errands at an appropriate time, etc.)
- Helping children learn appropriate ways to express their emotions and helping them identify when they need to use positive strategies to deal with mounting emotions
* Music from Creations by Michael R. Hicks.
* Photo by HK Creative Distraction at www.flickr.com
Music from Creations by Michael R. Hicks
Audio editing by Christy Elder