Home Forums Specific Mothering Situations Children with Special Needs Learning Disabilities / Challenges?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bunky1012girl 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

elisebw
    Participant

I’ve had 3 for 3. All 3 of my children have had difficulties, delays,and disabilities. It’s been a tough, long road that we are still traveling. I’ve learned tons and have much more compassion and awareness for others but my heart always sinks when I hear a mother walking down this path. One great resource for learning glitches/disabilties is Diane Craft – she is in CO and has alternative methods of helping children learn. I could write volumes! Best advice – you as the mother are your child’s most important advocate and interventionist.

Mary Jenkins
    Participant

Both of my children have delays and disabilities. They are 3 and 6 so we only just entered the school age range with our daughter. It’s been a long and rocky road but we’re facing it with hope and joy, and taking it one day at a time. I totally agree with the above comment about the mothers role as the most important advocate and interventionist.

karen78
    Participant

3 of my 4 children are on IEP’s. My boys (12, almost 11) are on the autism spectrum. My oldest daughter (9) has learning difficulties and ADD tendencies. I totally agree with Elisebw, “It’s been a tough, long road that we are still traveling. I’ve learned tons and have much more compassion and awareness for others but my heart always sinks when I hear a mother walking down this path. ”
    I would never wish it on anyone else, but it has forced me to grow in ways I never would have otherwise!

bunky1012girl
    Participant

My youngest was diagnosed with Apraxia of speech, he also has motor planning issues and sensory integration disorder. He is 4 years old and also has an IEP. He started preschool intake which is special education for preschoolers. He gets speech everyday, three of which is indivdual. I agree with you both, it is a long road. He can get very frustrated since he is non verbal and then tends to throw himself on the floor or throw something…and a few times has hit me. I don’t know anyone who has this and I feel so alone most of the time. I hope to meet others on here that is taking this journey as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.